Is my name automatically change after I get married?

No, there several things you must do after getting married. First obtain a certified a copy or copies of your marriage certificate from the Town Clerk's office, it will have your new last name on it. You then need to visit the Social Security website or office to fill out an application for a new Social Security card. Once you receive your new card you may then go the Registry of Motor Vehicles with your marriage certificate and Social Security card in hand and have your license changed to your new name. From then on you'll use your marriage certificate, new Social Security card and new license to change banks accounts, employer, post office, utility companies, insurance companies (auto, home, life), doctor offices, voter registration, investment accounts providres, passports, etc.  

Show All Answers

1. How do I obtain a Marriage License
2. Is there a waiting period to get my license?
3. Is my name automatically change after I get married?
4. How to obtain a Business Certificate
5. How do I register to vote?
6. Is there a deadline to register before an election?
7. How old do you have to be to register to vote?
8. How to obtain a Dog License
9. How much is a dog license?
10. Can I get my dog license by mail?
11. What do I need to bring with me to get a dog license?
12. My dog is registered in another town, do I have to reregister if I move to Clinton?
13. Does my dog have to wear the registration tag?